Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Christmas Miracle.


For a girl whose first sentence was “do self,” the work I do now is humbling.  Nights like last night can’t be done “self.” Indeed it takes hundreds of do-gooders, volunteers, sponsors, friends – cutting us a deal, pitching in, bending the rules, coming to our rescue.  Over and over again, until I finally understand that I’m not in charge.  That if we give as much as we can stand we’ll all come out ahead.

At Feeding the Soul, we call that creative generosity, and it’s an idea I am wholly committed to. 
·      I believe that people deserve an opportunity to vote for Good with their entertainment dollar, and will choose to do so gladly.
·      I believe that talented artists deserve to make a living making live music, and to be paid fairly. (Even if we can’t pay them what they’re actually WORTH). 
·      I believe that the problems of the world, and the organizations that do the hard work of grappling with them, deserve as much support as possible, from every available source.  They should be celebrated, rewarded.
·      I believe the best way to battle the degeneration of journalism into political advertising and entertainment trivia is by creating genuine good news to take its place.

For me, community is an act of faith.  Last night was a miracle. 

There should be a better word for “thank you.”  It doesn’t seem like enough.

Wishing the happiest of holidays to the multitudes that made last night happen, who will contribute to the same in the future, and who feed our souls.

~ Cat

1 comment:

  1. There should be a better word for "thank you." You are right it isn't enough. So ladies, I thank you plus send you warm rays of sunshine, soft kitten snuggles, a love hug from a friend, shiny, yummy, extraordinary thank you. You have fed many souls this year in your amazing ways.

    ReplyDelete