Friday, November 19, 2010

Parker Ainsworth – Feeding the Soul

Austin native Parker Ainsworth describes his music as “patchwork Americana.” Indeed, he has a soulful voice, a stripped-down sound, and some Texas country influences, but he fits in perfectly to our love-centered community with lyrics and music from the heart, and a welcoming way with friends and strangers alike.

Parker has been part of a few Feeding the Soul shows right from the start, and we’re grateful to have him back for our CD and for the release concert. He has a generous soul, which feeds ours so we can pay it forward.

One of my favorite memories of Parker is from the original Feeding the Soul dinner and concert. I was nervous about getting the dinner tables removed and chairs set up in time for the music, and when the time came, I was in a tizzy – running back and forth without accomplishing much. As I fought with the folding legs of the table, into the fog of my panic floats the embodiment of calm in the form of Parker, with a smile, and an offer of help. I took a deep breath. It was the start of what I can only describe as a miracle: dinner for 100 people disappeared and the room transformed into a concert in less than 10 minutes. THAT is the power of community.

This is what Parker shared with us about his song:

"For me, the Feeding the Soul song sprang out of wanting to contribute to something outside of myself. I'd wanted to access the beauty of working together in the most simple way possible  and the process of preparing and sharing food is something that has most often conveyed love in my family. I thought that "feeding the soul" could be a mantra for service, and that when engaged in service the one making the food to feed others is actually being fed too. In this way, there's more than enough love and resources to go around several times."

Here in southern California, Parker’s known both for the soul in his music and for giving outstanding hugs. Be sure to get yourself some of each!
~ Cat

www.parkerainsworth.com

1 comment:

  1. Glad I found your blog! I am a fan on Facebook and realized we were at the San Diego viewing of May I be Frank.

    I look forward to meeting you all in person some day!

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete