Monday, October 11, 2010

Attendance, attention, and enthusiasm

This weekend I did one of my very favorite things with some of my very favorite people.

In fact, great times with great folks is a regular occurrence here at Feeding the Soul Foundation -- it makes up a great part of our mission. All the same, this weekend was special.

FTSF friend and supporter Jason Mraz ended his tour in at the Santa Barbara bowl Friday night. It was an event filled with friends from far and wide, plus singing and dancing along in the GA pit. Vallie, Mel and I had a blast in the front row for a spectacular show. I'm renowned for making a fool of myself celebrating at Mraz shows; I may have been accused of an over-abundance of enthusiasm. This reminded me of something I wrote about a year ago: "if you don't have enthusiasm for the people in your life, there's a good chance you need new people in it."
Friends, enthusiasm, and celebration at the Santa Barbara Bowl

We were back to San Diego on Saturday for FTSF's 3rd showing of May I Be Frank. Frank Ferrante and Conor Gaffney came to conduct the Q&A after the movie, and inspired the multitude assembled at The Centre. Our gratitude and love to Frank and Conor, plus Abby, Kelly and the entire crew at the LGBT Centre for making everything so easy and pleasant.

On Sunday, Bushwalla charmed a packed house at Jitters Coffee Pub. Keith Benton backed him up, and he did duets with Dawn Mitschele and Jason Mraz. It was a room full of people that can be counted on to answer "Where my people at?" with "Right here!!"

I'm left with a profound gratitude to everyone who makes these events possible -- both the ones Feeding the Soul plans and the ones we are honored to attend. I'm inspired by our performers, our hosts, my partners Vallie and Mel, and by ALL of you who attend.

Join us again, please! The Makepeace Brothers will be at Jitters later this month, and we're looking forward to another fantastic night of fun.

-- Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment